Business Licences

Business Licences

** NEW ** 2020 Business Licence Rebate
As part of its COVID-19 relief for local businesses, the City of Cold Lake Council has passed a 2020 Business Licence Rebate Program. The application for the rebate can be downloaded at this link.

Do I need a business licence?
The City requires that any person or business providing a service or operating a business within the City limits must have a current City of Cold Lake business licence. If your business is located outside of the City, but you are providing services or operating your business within the City limits, you are still required to have a current business licence.

Some professions are exempt from the City's business licensing requirement. You can find out more by contacting the City's Planning and Development Department.

What about a home based business?
Home based businesses do require a business license. Read our Guide to Home Based Businesses for more information.

Do I need a development or building permit?
If you're constructing a new building, altering an existing building, or changing the use of a property for your business (including adding a home based business to your residence) you will need a development permit and may require a building permit. Talk to a Development Officer for more information on the type of permit you require.

How do I apply for a business license?
Determine which business license you require. You can print one from this website (below) or pick one up from City Hall. Complete the application form and submit it, along with payment, copy of title or letter from landlord/property manager, and any other required documentation, to the Planning & Development Department at City Hall.

For businesses with commercial space INSIDE the CITY LIMITS download this application.
For businesses WITHOUT premises INSIDE the CITY LIMITS please download this application.
For home based businesses please download this application.

When will I need a new business license?
All business licenses expire on Dec 31st each year. The renewal process begins each November. The City also offers quarterly, weekly, and daily business licenses. If you move your business you need to notify the Planning and Development Department to receive a new license for your new address. You may need a new development permit for your new location. If you sell your business the new owners must apply for their own business license and obtain their own approvals since licenses are not transferable. Business license fees are not refundable.

What about business licence fees?
Business license fees are based on the type of license you require. You may also require a development permit.

Location Type of Business Annual Fee Daily Fee Weekly Fee Quarterly Fee Development Permit Fee
Inside the City Commercial $75 $10 $25 $50 $100 minimum, if required
Inside the City Home-Based: Minor $150 $10 $50 $75 $50
Inside the City Home-Based Major $150 $10 $50 $75 $75
Inside the Trading Area All Businesses $200 $50 $75 $100 NA
Outside the Trading Area All Businesses $500 $150 $250 $400 NA


Where can I find more information on the Business Retention and Attraction Incentive Program?
The application form for BRAIP can be found here.
To read the policy behind the program, please visit our Bylaws and Policies page, where the BRAIP policy can be found under Financial Policies.